by Red Jumper Studios
We have used several different book creation apps in our iPad lab. Most of these applications include some of the same features (images, video, audio narriation) that allow students to create interactive and content rich books. The format in which students export and then share their work can separate the good apps from the great apps. Book Creator includes all the great features that help make a fun interactive book. It also includes many exporting options, including the iBooks library. The version that will be placed in your iBooks library will also include all the the hyper links and videos, unlike saving it as a pdf.
There is a free version of Book Creator available. It allows the creation of only one book, but is a good way of previewing the app to see how useful it could be to your students.
- Step 1: The app opens to a library of all your created books and includes an easy to read instruction manual. Tap on the icon with a plus within a square to either duplicate, import, or create a new book. You will then need to select the orientation and size of the cover.
- Step 2: On your cover page, tap the plus icon in the top right corner to add an image, text, a narration.
- Step 3: For editing options of any element on your stage, select that element and tap the “i” icon.
- Step 4: You can then add elements and edit them on each page just as you did on the cover. Tap the arrow on the left to go back or the arrow on the right to add another two pages. Using the “i” icon, you can make any element a hyperlink.
- Step 5: You can also include video and sound recording. Once you have recorded a voice over, the app will make a sound icon for the reader to press to listen.
- Step 6: Tap the pages button to view thumbnails of all the pages in your book.
- Step 7: Tap the share icon in order to export your book. Selecting “Opening in iBooks” will send it directly to your device’s iBooks library.
Cost and Platforms