Puppet Pals 2
by Polished Play, LLC
The new version of an excellent classroom application, Puppet Pals 2 allows students to achieve the highest level of learning. The iPad becomes the student’s stage as they utilize puppet characters and interactive scenes to present their stories or ideas. The latest version includes several improvements including moving limbs and mouths, scrollable backgrounds, and the ability to put characters in vehicles. Paired with a pencil and paper, Puppet Pals can become a platform for practicing and assessing each student’s writing and speaking sills. Sharing the finished product is also a great way to showcase each student’s skills.
How It Works?
- Step 1: To begin creating a Puppet Pals movie, tap on the play button that is located on top left hand corner of the home screen. Then select a location for your movie scene.
- Step 2: The app opens up your scene. Drag your finger across your screen to scroll left or right within the background.
- Step 3: From the top menu you can choose to change your location, add a vehicle, add a character, create your own character, and add background music before you begin recording. You can access the main menu through the locations menu.
- Step 4: To add actors or vehicles to the stage, go into each menu and tap on the desired puppet. The character or vehicle will be added to your stage and then you can go back to the menu to add more. The free version of Puppet Pals includes a limited amount of characters.
- Step 5:With the “All Access” version of Puppet Pals, you can create your own character and even make a custom puppet with your own photo.
- Step 6: Select the desired background music for your movie from the music menu.
- Step 7: To speak through a puppet character tap its head or body. You can also move the puppet within the scene. Tap on the character’s limbs to animate them separately. With your finger on the puppet the mouth will move as you speak. you can place any character in a vehicle by dragging it into the vehicle. Hit the record button to create your movie.
- Step 8:Once you are done creating your movie you can preview the movie and save. When you tap the save button you will add a title. Under the main menu you can view all your saved movies and then export each movie to your photo library.
Recording with the iPads works better with headphones and where the students have a quiet space where the device will only pick up their voice. It is advisable to provide a chance for each student to practice recording in the app and time to prepare their stage for the final recording.
Cost and Platforms
Puppet Pals 2: All Access is available for $4.99 in the Apple app store.
Puppet Pals 2: Free is a free app available in the Apple app store.