by Launchpad Toys
With Toontastic, students are able to apply and practice their storytelling abilities using their fingers. The app includes a variety of charters and locations for the students to utilize and the All Access version includes a more extensive character library. Toontastic stands out because its engaging interface and how it walks the student through the story making process. Students are instructed to record their voice and animate each character in different sections of the story.The app complies the setup, climax, and resolution to make a full video.
How It Works?
- Step 1: Tap the “Create Carton” sign with lights around it. On the create page the student can scroll through all the toons created on that device or tap on new cartoon.
- Step 2: The app takes the student to the “Story Arc Page” and displays a map of each element of their story. The app includes a audio narration informing the student of each part. Tap the one section and then tap the green brush above to began setting up you animation.
- Step 3: Next, the student has the option of choosing a background for the setting or choosing to draw their own background. Tap on the desired setting to continue to the next step.
- Step 4: With your finger, drag characters on the scene. Students can also draw characters to animate. Tap on the right arrow to continue.
- Step 5: Pinch and drag to size characters and place each one where you wish for them to begin. It is helpful to advise your students to practice moving their characters around the scene before they begin. Tap on “Start Animations” to begin recording.
- Step 6: Next, the student can add themed music to accompany their narration. Tap on the mood that is appropriate for the scene and then tap the right arrow to continue.
- Step 7: Continue to record each scene in the story. Tap on the scene button on the bottom of the screen, then drag and drop to add scenes to your story. When finished recording your story, tap the done button and enter your info to include the movie credits.
- Step 8: Watch your animated movie and then find it in the create cartoon menu. You can also share the story on Toontube with a registered account.
Troubleshooting: Students can often waste time in this app and become frustrated when attempting to move characters as they which. Characters can turn and the limbs can be moved. This is a great feature for the animation, but can be tricky for the students to control with their fingers. Provide adequate time for students to practice moving the figures before they are instructed to begin creating their story.
Students can also waste time perfecting their animation. To avoid spending too much time recording, set a timer on your iPad and offer the students 2 – 5 minutes to record each scene.
Cost and Platforms
Toontastic is a free application available in the Apple app store.
Toontastic All Access is available for $12.99 in the Apple app store.