This lesson allows for easy student creating and sharing of creative writing. Students will work with a Kindergarten class to write a story about a student to share.
Target Grade Level: 4th grade: This is the target we used, but this lesson works with any intermediate grade level.
Focus: Creative Writing
Common Core Standards:
- 4.W.4 Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development and organization are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience
- 4.W.7 Conduct short research projects that build knowledge through investigation of different aspects of a topic
- 4.SL.4 Report of a topic or text, tell a story, or recount an experience in an organized manner
- 4.L.2 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar, usage, punctuation, capitalization
- 4.L.3 Use knowledge of language and its conventions when writing, speaking, reading, or listening
Materials: Story Creator and Pic Collage Applications; Student interview form.
Before the Lesson: Prepare a teacher created sample; Set up collaborative groups across the grade levels(I did K and 4 , but any grade level will work.)
- Introduce lesson purpose
- Introduce the app by allowing students to create a simple alphabet book; students choose a letter from the alphabet, thinks of five words that start with that letter, searches for or takes picture for the words.
- Students work with you page by page to insert book pages of practice book
- Pass out Student Interview Form and discuss procedures
- Visit Kindergarten class to conduct interviews; Students can take pictures of partner at this time
- Encourage students to write a story about their child or a story that is based on something important to the child as indicated on the interview form
- After the story is written, students will type each page of the story. I suggested no more than 2 lines on each page.
- After all words are in, insert pictures; After all pictures, insert voice for tracking: Ipad 2 devices requires students to drag text over voice, while Ipad 3 does this step automatically. My students loved putting on their earphones and doing this step manually.
- The cover of the book can be created in Pic Collage. Students took pictures used in their book and created a collage and added a title and their name.
- Last step is sharing with the Kindergarten student