Put a Sock in It
Focus: Conversation Skills
Students will create characters, develop a topic of discussion, and engage in a conversation.
Target Grade Level: 1st grade, 2nd grade
Common Core Standards:
- 2.SL.1 Participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about grade 2 topics and texts with peers and adults in small and larger groups
- 2.SL.4 Tell a story or recount an experience with appropriate facts and relevant, descriptive details, speaking audibly in coherent sentences.
- 2.SL.5 Create audio recordings of stories or poems; add drawings or other visual displays to stories or recounts of experiences when appropriate to clarify ideas, thoughts and feelings
- 2.SL.3 Ask and answer questions about what a speaker says in order to clarify comprehension, gather additional information, or deepen understanding of a topic or issue.
Materials: Sock Puppets App; Headphones; Interview Outline
Before the Lesson: NA
- Introduce lesson purpose.
- Create a chart of words that question with students. Devise good question sentences together.
- Introduce App Sock Puppets. Demonstrate how students will create a character, then interview a character with a partner.
- Invite a student to come up to help demonstrate how Sock Puppets work.
- Pass out resource sheet for students to complete with assistance.
- Allow students time to work independently.
- Partner students; each student should take turns being the one to initiate the conversation.
- Share final recordings with the entire class.