Focus: Data collection
A simple, fun lesson to use during the week of Valentines. Students will graph conversation hearts using the app Pic Collage. Data will be recorded and analyzed. The lesson ends with students getting more practice with mental math using the Ten Frame Fill app.
Target Grade Level: 1st grade
Common Core Standards:
- 1.OA.6 add and subtract with 20, demonstrating fluency and subtraction within 10;
- 1MD.4 organize, represent, and interpret data with up to three categories
Materials: Pic Collage Application, Ten Frame Fill Application, Candy Conversation Hearts on paper plates in sets of ten, Primary Graph Paper, Data Collection Sheet
Before the Lesson: Prepare a graph on Pic Collage and on graph paper; Make sure each student Ipad has the heart sticker set loaded on Pic Collage; Prep plates with assorted hearts(4 colors) total of 10
- Introduce the purpose of the lesson: To collect and interpret data
- Project the teacher made example of *Pic Collage graph and graph paper sample with hearts glued down
- Complete the data collection sheet together with students using your example graph
- Pass out plates with hearts, data sheet, and graph paper
- Students work independently to sort and graph, count, compare, and add hearts; This can be done on the graph paper, then recreated in Pic Collage, or done solely in Pic Collage.
- After each student completes the assignment, they continue on to the Ten Frame Fill Application to work equations for ten. As students work in Ten Frame, encourage them to solve using mental math